Mary Deake was born on Jan. 17, 1722 to parents George and Susannah Deake in Westerly, Kings Co., Colony of Rhode Island. On Dec. 9, 1744 she was married to Edward Davis at Hopkinton, Westerly, R.I. Their marriage is listed in the town records of Stonington, CT. since they moved there shortly after their marriage. They were married at night by Wait Palmer A.M. They moved from Stonington, CT to Monmouth County, NJ soon after their marriage. The Seventh Day Baptists led by Edward's father, had set up a colony there. Edward must have died soon thereafter because Mary then married John Curtis on March 31, 1746 in Manasquan, NJ. They had two children, Ann and Thomas. John Curtis died in 1761. On August 28, 1761 Mary married Adam Brouwer in Monmouth Co., NJ. He died in 1769. The Widow Curtis (she had no children with Mr. Brouwer) appeared in the 1790 census in South Kingston, RI, not far from where she was born and where a number of Dake's settled. The date and location of her death is unknown.

John Deake was born on Feb. 22, 1724 to parents George and Susannah Deake in Westerly, Kings Co., Colony of Rhode Island. He was educated in the local school and grew to manhood on the family farm. As a young man, he apparently received training as a physician. On Jan. 15, 1743, he signed as a witness to the Will of James Babcock. He was married Feb. 26, 1746 to Hannah Foster (She was born on May 17,1729 in Hopkinton, R.I. to John Foster and Margery Card. She died some time after 1774.) by Elder Joseph Maxson. Hannah was seventeen years old and five months pregnant when she married John Deake, which may have contributed to her father's hostility towards her marriage, evidenced later when she fell into poverty. On April 16, 1746, he was admitted as a freeman in the Town of Hopkinton, R.I. which gave him the rights of a citizen.

Several land transfers appear in the Westerly town records either to or from Dr. John Deake or Deak. On Feb. 23, 1749, John purchased two acres adjoining his deceased fathers land from William Hadsall; "To All people to Whom those present shall come Greeting Know ye that I William Hadsall of Westerly in King's County in ye Colony of Rhode Island, Weaver, for in consideration of the sum of Fourteen pounds Current money of New England to me in hand paid or secured by John Deake of ye Town County and Colony ----- above written Physician." John purchased another 1 3/4 acres from William Hadsall on April 25, 1752. In two other land deeds, the word physician was used to describe John Deake.

John Deake was bequeathed Forty pounds in Bills of Credit in his Uncle Richard's Will. Forth pounds which he may never received if we may judge from the records of the Seventh Day Baptist church of Westerly which quotes as follows: "At a church meeting April 22, 1755, Brother Joshua Clarke, in behalf of John Deake, informed the meeting that said Deake and some of the other legatees mentioned in Richard Deake's Will were dissatisified with the conduct of the Executrix to said Will for that she would not allow them usual interest for the time they are kept out of their legacies until paid. Voted therefore that it is thought proper by the church that the executrix be cited to be at next church meeting in order that the church may inquire into the matter and advise to what may appear to be right in the premises." "At a church meeting June 24, 1755 Sister Content Deake, Executrix to Richard Deake's will appeared at this meeting in obedience to the above citation, but no prosecutor appearing, the matter is referred to the next church meeting.

On July 26, 1756 a deed in which John Deake sold to Amos Lewis four acres where his "house stands".

He was named as executor along with his mother, of his father's Will, but was not a benificiary of any of the property other than a token bequest to ten pds. Being the oldest son, he may have accepted his share of the legacy before his father's death, either in land or in money to pay for his training as a physician. This was a common practice in Colonial times. These is a suggestion that John Deake may have even gone to England to receive physicians training. He would very well have lived with relatives while in England. The land was divided between his brothers on May 3, 1757.

" At a church meeting held July 3, 1757, the affair of Bro. Joshua Clark and sister Peckham (formerly Content Deake, widow of Richard) that she refused to allow interest to John Deake and his brother for the time she kept them out of their legacies given them by their Uncle Richard Deake in his will of which she is executrix was dishonest "said Br. Clark". The case was laid before the meeting said sister being present, but she absolutely refused to allow the interest. The members declared her to be wrong, and that she ought to pay interest demanded by John Deake and others.

On Jan. 4, 1759, John sells land to his brother George Deake, Jr. (who at the time described as a Mariner of Falmouth, York Co., Mass. Bay Colony (Now the City of Portland, Maine). This land was also located next to his brother Charles' land. The deed was recorded February 2, 1759. On the first Wednesday in May 1759, he was admitted to the General Assembly held for the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, held at Newport. (Colonial records of Rhode Island, Vol. 6, page 201 & 206). On Sept. 5, 1759 another deed was recorded in which land was sold to Dr. John Deake from Amos Lewis. The land is next to George Deake, Jr. land. The following day he sells 24 acres in the same area, may be the same land, to Cyrus Button.

He was a member of the Seventh Day Baptist Church. He practiced medicine in Hopkinton, R.I. until his death in Jan. 1762, at a fairly young age of 37. There is no official death record nor is there any reference as to the cause of death in the Town records. The first mention of John Deake's death occurs in the Town Council record of Jan. 11, 1762: " Voted that Edward Wells Jr. one of the Creditors of Dr. John Deake Late of this Town Deceased be administrator to sd Estate the Widow and Next of Kin having already Refused". John Deake died intestate. There is no Will recorded, but there is an extensive inventory of his personal estate listed in the Town Council/Probate Records. Despite his appearance of wealth, within 2 weeks Edward Wells, Jr. declared the estate insolvent. There is no date for the inventory, but the Town Council appointed appraisers to conduct an inventory in a town council meeting of Jan. 25, 1762, after they learned that the state was "represented Insolvent". The inventory of his estate was entered in the Town Record in Feb. 8, 1762 and on March 1, 1762 and addition of physicians equipment was allowed to the inventory. The estate totaled 2257 pounds 13 shilling 7 pence. This translated to $340.25 in 1762 dollars.

A.D. 1761
The Inventory of Doctor John Deak's Estate presented by Thomas Foster and Joseph Green the persons appointed by the Town Council to take the Same

Items £ S P
To Book accounts and notes 714 19 7
To one Cow and Calf 100 0 0
To one Horse 120 0 0
To one Swine 40 0 0
To a Horse Cart 60 0 0
To 2 Sets of horse tacklin 26 0 0
To one side saddle 25 0 0
To 2 mens Dito 30 0 0
To 29 Bushels of Corn 116 0 0
To beans 11 5 0
To Sweet Corn 2 0 0
To Meat 80 0 0
To one Stack of hay 45 0 0
To one Stack of flax 37 10 0
To wool and dito 7 0 0
To Sundry articles of Small Value 25 10 0
To wheels and chain 20 0 0
To Bucket 7 to casks and tubs 29 0 0
& half bushel      
To Dumb dolley 8 0 0
To Sythe and taklin and Curry Comb 8 0 0
To plough and irons 10 0 0
To 3 hoes and 2 ales 8 0 0
To one hay Knife 3 and 2 tables 13 16 0
To 3 Chests 12 L and one pichfork 13 10 0
To one slice & tongs and bellows 8 0 0
To a warming pan and one Kittle 38 0 0
To one pot and kittle and bason 14 0 0
To 2 trammels 2 pans and fatt 23 5 0
To one kittle and sope fat 7 15 0
To 3 pails and one fat tub 5 0 0
To 5 Boles one tray and chum 10 5 0
To cask 4 10 0
Carryover 1663 9 7
Brot over      
To trenchers and calfs bag 3 basons      
& 1 poringer 6 10 0
To six plates 2 platters and more plates 13 5 0
To 14 Spoons and one pot 2 10 0
To Crane hooks, box iron and heaters 9 10 0
To one augre one chissel 2 gimblets 2 5 0
To one old tin kittle 30L 1 pare hand stillyard 3 8 0
To one pair shears & 1 candle and snuffers 1 10 0
To tea cups & sausers and earthenware 4 0 0
To 2 Jugs and one pickle pot 6 5 0
To one case bottle and 9 quart dito 5 0 0
To one pair of saddle bags & calves skin 9 0 0
To one side of leather at Jedidiah Davis s 11 5 0
To one bed and beding and bed cord 126 0 0
To one Bedsted cord and bed and beding 156 0 0
To 2 bags one bridle and some malt 8 10 0
To 2 baskits sope meal and diper 8 0 0
To one hat 20 L and boots a 9 L 29 0 0
To Yarn and needles 13.6/and napkins & sheets 38 16 0
To stockings caps and handkerchiefs 18 0 0
To 2 jacoats 1 pair of Breeches 27 0 0
To shirts and pr. of Shoes 10 10 0
To 3 blankits and candals 3 0 0
To strarch and rossom and tallow 4 2 0
To 3 boxes hone and rasors 4 10 0
To portators and turnops 14 0 0
To book and cask 2 18 0
To a right 6 0 0
Widow which was put into the house and was      
to be taken out 7 10 0
To one bottle case without bottles 2 0 0
To one medician case 27 0 0
To 250 oak nails 10 0 0
  2257 13 7
Dubious Debts 190 11 3

The above or before Written is a True Inventory of the Whole of the Goods Rights and Credits of Doctor John Deake Deceas that is presented to us the Subscribers

Thomas Foster Joseph Green
VOTED That this Inventory be Recorded

Recorded Hopkinton February 8th 1762. pr.Joshua Clarke
Council Clerk

Att a Town Council in Hopkinton March first 1762 the addition to the Inventory of Doct. Deaks Estate for Medicins Viols Bottles gallee pots Morters Salves Seales Books and things of that Kind prisd at 124:2:0 Voted that s. aprisement be excepted and recorded.

On Sept. 30, 1762, after eight months of organizing receipts and credits, the commissioners of the estate report to the Town Council: "Voted that the Return of the Commissioners is Recevd In Asaisting the Claims and Demands against the Estate of Docter John Deake Deceasd of Hopkinton and that they be allowd the Sum of 135-0-0 for their Service and Trouble in sd affair -- and that the Commissioners have an order on the administrator for the same". It took another 15 months for the estate to be resolved. The settlement of his estate was entered on January 16, 1764. "Whareas the administrator of Doctr John Deakes Estate made it appear to this Town Council by the persons that was Charged in sd. Deakes Book that there was Ballance Due to the Creditors of sd. Deake therefore it is Voted that sd. Administra. be Discharged from sd. Book and that the Same be Null & Void" [meaning that the balance due to the creditors is just wiped off the books and the widow not held responsible]. "The Commissioners appointed to Settle and Recive the Claims Due from Doctr John Deakes Estate made Report to this Council and it appears to this Council upon a Just Settlement that Every person that put in his Claim to sd. Estate and made out the Same to be Just Sahll have and Recive out of said Estate tem Shillings and four pence for Every Twenty Shillings Due and the Administrators is accordingly ordered to pay unto Every such person as afore sd. tem Shillings & fourpence for Every Twenty Shillings Due as aforesd. which is allowd and approved by this Council Witness Joshua Clarke Council Crk." In otherwords, each creditor got 1/2 of what he was owed. On May 5, 1766, Edward Deake, brother of Dr. John was recorded as administrator of the estate. On May 29, 1766, the division of John's estate among his creditors is recorded in the Town Records.

At the death of Dr. John Deake in 1762, his widow Hannah, was left with a family of nine children. She apparently went from a condition of plenty and protection to a condition of want and humiliation. Hannah refused administration on her husband's estate, perhaps because she was overwhelmed emotionally with grief and with the care of their nine children. Hannah was left with virtually nothing, after having experienced a life of comfort in her father's house and with her husband. Widowed, and with a number of dependent children, Hannah began to experience economic distress. On Feb. 28, 1762, it was recorded in the Town Records: "Whare as it is Represented to this Council that the Widow Deakes Children have nothing to Support them it is Voted that the overseer of the poor go to their Grand Father foster and order him to come and take Care of them." [R.I. Law required grandparents to care for their grandchildren under circumstances of poverty or misfortune]. Her father lived in the Town of Richmond and owned a couple of plantations as well as a sawmill. The family appears to have been very well off and found it fitting and proper that their daughter should marry a Doctor. Her father was a widower at the time of Dr. Deake's death. Apparently John Foster would not take on the care of the three youngest children (Foster, Mary or Martha; all three were bound out as indentured servants to people in Hopkinton). Foster was bound out to Charles Deake, his uncle. Mary and Martha were bound out to John and Abigail Langworthy, probably family friends. Hannah apparently decided to try to live somewhere other than in Hopkinton. She may have wanted to try to earn a living somewhere else, or perhaps she had friends. The certificate issued by the town council of Hopkinton would be her passport to settle temporarily in another town. However, there is no evidence that Hannah ever used the certificate. Hannah's father, by law, had to support her and her children, but Hannah apparently refused to live with her father, and went to live with friends or relatives in Hopkinton (the Mains); but neither her father nor the Town Council would support her unless she lived where her father stipulated: "Town Council Sept. 6, 1763; Whareas the Widow Hannah Deake has been supported by order of this Town Council in Expectation that Her Father John Forster would pay the Cost as he by Law ought to Do and as her sd. Father has Refused to pay any thing towards sd Charge Because She went out of the Government and from the place that Her sd. Father ordered it is therefore Voted that this Council and as overseers of the poor will Grant no more Support for Her whare she Now Lives but She must Return to the place whare her sd. father shall order if proper for her Comfort." On Dec. 19, 1763: "Voted that Joshua Clarke have an order on the Town Treasury for 10 14s 6d old Tenor for Rie Mutton & Rum found the widow Hannah Deake when at Mains" "Voted that Peter Main have an order on the Town Treasurer for Sixty nine pounds 2 shillings & 6 pence for Sundrys found paying the Docters &c for the widow Hannah Deake when at his House which is Expected her father Forster will pay". Since she had become a financial burden to Hopkinton, the town ordered that Hannah be removed from the community and returned to her father, John Foster. Hopkinton footed the expense for that removal. From that point on, Hannah and her older children apparently lived with her father. The children lived in Hopkinton with their masters and mistresses, and doubtless received visits from their mother and older siblings whenever possible. Two years later, in 1766, John Foster died. He was an extremely wealthy man, leaving much real estate to his three sons Card Foster, Gideon Foster and John Foster. His estate amounted to nearly 11,000 (not including real estate) but he left only 20 shillings to Hannah, who obviously was not back in his good graces. She probably took a hefty portion with her when she married and since her husband and effectively lost all that fortune, John Foster was not inclined to bequeath her any more. A small legacy of 10 shillings was also given to Hannah's oldest child, John Foster's grandson Joshua Deake. None of the other grandchildren were mentioned. Without her father to support her, Hannah could not live in Richmond, for she was not a resident there. She was still a legal resident of Hopkinton, where her husband had owned property. After her father's death, Hannah apparently tried to get her youngest daughter, Martha, out of indenture, and brought back to Richmond to live with her in whatever situation Hannah had there. Hannah asked the Hopkinton town council to give her and her youngest daughter Martha a certificate to settle in Richmond, but Richmond refused to accept the certificate. Probably Richmond figured that Hannah and her daughter would be a financial burden to the town and the town council wanted to avoid such a problem. Since the Richmond town council refused to let Martha settle with her mother in Richmond, Martha apparently stayed in her indenture with the Langworthy family in Hopkinton. But tragedy struck for Martha and her sister Mary a year later when they lost their indenture home when their indentured mother went insane. "Feb. 15, 1768; Whare as Mary Deake being on of the poor of this Town was by the overseers of the poor put an apprentice to John Langworty and his wife and as said Langworthy has broke up House Keeping and his wife not Retaining her Common Reason it is therefore Voted that the Overseers of the poor of this Town Take the Said Mary Deake and put her an apprentice to some proper person and her former master be Discharged." The Town Council intended to find a new master for Mary and Martha, but there is no record of it in the town records.


Elizabeth was born 15 April 1727 in Westerly, Kings Co., Colony of Rhode Island, to parents George and Susannah Deake. On Dec. 12, 1745 in Stonington, New London, Conn. she was married to Ephraim Clarke by Rev. Joseph Parks. (He was born Jan 5, 1722 at Stonington, Conn. Son of John and Lydia Andrews Clarke. He died Dec. 11, 1797 at Cape Elizabeth, Maine. He was a minister in Falmouth, District of Maine, Colony of Mass. He later served in the Revolutionary War.) They had no children of their own but adopted and raised Elizabeth Clarke Deake, and George Deake, children of her brother George Deake, Jr. She died on Feb. 28, 1785; at Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

Susannah was born Jan. 3, 1729 in Westerly, Colony of Rhode Island, to parents George and Susannah Deake. On May 14, 1747 in Stonington, New London, Conn. she married Timothy Clarke by Justice Simeon Menor (Born Mar. 29, 1719-1720 at Stonington, Conn. Grandson of Timothy Clarke and sone of John and Lydia Andrews Clarke. Brother to her sister Elizabeths' husband Ephraim). They had children: Thankful, Grace, Clark, Ephraim, William and Esther. She died in Stonington, New London, Conn. but the date is unknown.

Thankful was born Jan. 10, 1731 in Westerly, Kings Co., Colony of Rhode Island, to parents George and Susannah Deake. She married Joseph Ayer in Stonington, New London, Conn. on Apr. 11, 1751. They were married by J.P. John Whiting. (Joseph Ayer was born on April 3, 1721 at Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut and died on April 1, 1814 at Groton, New London, Connecticut.). They had children: Ruhamah(Ruamie), Thankful, Elisha, Lucy, Hannah, Cynthia, Joseph II, Louisa, Olive, Elizabeth and Martha. Thankful died on December 22, 1790 at North Stonington, New London, Connecticut.

Edward was born in Westerly, Kings Co.,Colony of Rhode Island, on Feb. 9, 1733, to parents George and Susannah Deake. Edward was a boy of thirteen when his father died. On Oct. 27, 1747, Edward asked that Capt. Edward Saunders be appointed his Guardian. From the Town Records: "Edward Deake the son and orphan of George Deake late of Westerly dec., appeared in Council this day and made charge of Capt. Edw. Saunders to be his Guardian. Therefore it is voted by this Council that Capt. Edw. Saunders is accepted Guardian to orphan. He giving bond as Law directs." Captain Saunders died some time before Jan 25, 1748 because on that date the following was entered in the Town Records: "Upon request of Edward Deake son and orphan to George Deake late of Westerly dec. this Council doth vote and accept of John Lewis of said Westerly Esq. to be Guardian to orphan in the room of Capt. Edw. Saunders dec. his former Guardian provided ___ of a bond as the Law directs" He seems to have been fairly close to his brother John even through John was nine years older. This would probably be accounted for in the fact that both his younger brothers (George and Charles) were shunted off to live with married sisters and brother-in-laws. He was trained as a Tailor as a young man. In 1753 he moved to Gould Neck, RI. In 1755 he was listed as living in Charlestown, R.I. as a freeman.

On July 4, 1759 Edward married Mary Adams in Charlestown, RI (Some records indicate her maiden name was Gould which might indicate she was previously married to a Mr. Adams. She was born in 1733 at Westfield, Washington, New York. She later died in 1974 in Washington Co., New York). They moved to Charlestown, Rhode Island shortly after their marriage. (He purchased 100 acres of land near Paquiset Pond. Not sure this is true, while he had money from selling his inherited land in Hopkinton, he was later very poor and lived on Indian land.). The same year he inherited a portion of his fathers original farm near Hopkinton. The last reference to the Deakes in the Westerly records was on July 26, 1756 when John Deake sold to Amos Lewis, four acres where "my house stands" and "other land sold to me by my brother Edward". Reported in a book by Virginia Easley DeMarce. In 1760, Edward and Thomas Gould left Charles Town with permission to go to Richmond.

On June 3, 1765, Edward was appointed to be schoolmaster to the Narragansett Indians by Rev. Joseph Fish, Minister at North Stonington, CT for the Pequot and Narragansett Indian community at Charlestown, RI (from 1732 to 1781). He was to receive money from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Society of the Church of England),to build a school house north of Cockumpaug Pond (The school house north of School House Pond about one half mile from the Indian Church survives today with a a club house on the spot.), on land provided by the Indian Tribe. He did not received these funds right away and ended up building a 40 ft. by 16 ft. building which was completed in 1766, with his own funds. He was reimbursed by the school commissioners on Jan. 5, 1770. This building was used as the school and had one room at the end where he and his family lived. He taught the Indian children in the school house portion of the building and his wife Mary conducted classes for theier own children and other English children in their room. Members of the Indian tribe complained about the English children being schooled in the building along with their children since the land had been provided for the education of their children. This caused some hard feelings.

From the Rhode Island Records, a petition dated Oct. 15, 1765

A Narragansett sachem had been selling parcels of land to whites without tribal authorization, at forty percent of the price that the tribe and the whites had officially agreed upon (one Colonel Christopher Champlin was about to purchase a tract of land at four pounds an acre, and this real estate was "worth ten pounds per acre"). The Narragnasetts that signed this document stated that the sachem was selling land parcels "as fast as he can find opportunities," and repressed their fefar that they soon would be "brought into servitude to the English for want of bread", as a result. The signatories also mentioned two white allies in their plight (Mathew Robinson and Edward Deake), who have incurred the hostility of the other whites in the area for siding with the Natives.

He was the schoolmaster from 1765 until 1775 with an annual salary of 24 pounds. He had a large family and it appears he and his wife were very poor during this time and asked several times for advancements on his salary. Much of the schooling was of a religious nature so he requested Rev. Fish and Rev. Joseph Park (the Church of England minister at Westerly, RI) to recognize him as a minister in Charlestown. While he didn't have the formal training as a minister that other Church of England (Presbyterian or 'Congregational) had, they certified his position and status with the church. He was listed as a missionary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England, in Charlestown, RI. He asked Rev. Fish to recommend his son (I assume this would have been Immanuel) to attend the school of Rev. Eleazer Wheelock who started Dartmouth College to educate Indian youth. I don't know if his son actually attended Dartmouth College. (I find it interesting he asked that his son attend this college for Indian youth. Maybe it was due to his relationship with Rev. Fish and Rev. Wheelock, or it may have been that Edward Deake was half Indian. I has been speculated by other Deake genealogists that his mother Susannah was an Indian. I have read the actual records of her marriage to George and the last name appears to be intentionally written, so as not to be determined). In 1776, he asked to be dismissed from his school in Charlestown. During his tenure as school master, at one time he had half of the 150 children in the tribe, enrolled in his school. The Indians grew to resent Rev. Fish and due to Edward's school being support by Rev. Fish, they gradually withdrew their children from his school and started their own. There was a lot of turmoil in the church at this time between formally educated ministers and laymen in the chruch. In 1744 to 1745, several of the English settlers and some of the Narragansett Indians separated from Rev. Park's church in Westerly to form a Separate Baptist church. Among them were Dr. Joseph Babcock, Stephan Babcock (who was a deacon) and Col. Christopher Chaplin (who had married Edwards parents, George and Susannah Deake). Indian Samuel Niles was ordained by this church as a minister and Samson Occom was a Pequot Indian minister who preached at this church.

The 1777 military census listed Edward as still living in Charleston, R.I.; however, Edward and Mary Deake moved with their family to White Creek, Washington County, New York, with his brother Charles about 1777. He may have moved with his brother Charles family to the Ballston, New York area because on July 20, 1782, Edward signed a petition asking the removal of Capt. Wright's Militia Company from Ballston, New York. In records written by his son Immanuel, after the War, indicated that his father Edward was a Minister and had performed his marriage to his wife, in the Ballston Presbyterian Church. Some time prior to 1790, Edward had moved to Cambridge, Washington County, N.Y. and by 1790 he was living in Westfield (later to be known as Fort Ann), Washington, New York. with his sons; Immanuel, John, Bartlett and Augusta. He died in Westfield, Washington Co., N.Y. in 1794. Edward and Mary had seven sons and one daughter.


George was born in Westerly, Kings Co., Colony of Rhode Island, on March 10, 1735 to parents George and Susannah Deake. After his fathers death, George and his brother Charles were sent off to live with their sister Elizabeth and her husband Rev. Ephraim Clarke, who moved to Cape Elizabeth, Maine. The area was then known as Falmouth, District of Maine, Colony of Mass. Whether the boys were sent off to live with relatives for reasons of economics or to learn a trade is not recorded. Records do indicate the George learned the trade of a Joiner while living with his sister in Maine. He was later trained as a surveyor. In 1757 he inherited a portion of his father's original farm near Hopkinton. On Jan. 4, 1759 he purchased land (21 acres) from his brother John near Hopkinton. He was listed at this time as living in Falmouth, County of York, Maine, Mass. Bay Colony and having the occupation as a Marnier. It appears that he was ready to return to Westerly but then for some unknown reason changed his mind. In 1764, he was awarded land in the township of Addison, Massachusetts Bay Province. (See quote below) He was married on March 15, 1759 to Mary Woodbury (daughter of Joshua Jr. and Mary Cobb Woodbury born on May 29, 1739 at Cape Elizabeth, Maine. She died on Nov. 19, 1797). That same fall he sold all of his Rhode Island property to his brother Charles. He farmed his land while his wife provided schooling to children in the area. In addition to plowing fields, sawing wood, and pasturing cows for others, George surveyed land, wrote deeds and attended court sessions. He was listed as a member of the Committee of Correspondence of Cape Elizabeth. He constructed the first fortifications for the defense of Portland at Spring Point, Cape Elizabeth and served there during a portion of the War, when not on military expeditions or secret missions for the town. Read the attached article about effects of the Revolution on Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth. He first enlisted on July 10, 1775 as a Private in Capt. David Strouts Company and served until Dec. 31, 1776 on the seacoast at Cape Elizabeth and Scarborough. He served as a Matross, which is described as an assistant gunner in the Artillery. He then served from Sept. 1, 1776 to Nov. 25, 1776, under Capt. Bryant Morton. On May 20, 1777 he mustered into Col. Peter Noyes Regiment as a Sergeant and was stationed at Fort Hancock, Cape Elizabeth. On March 23, 1778 he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant under Capt. Abner Lowell and was put in charge of fortifications at Portland. He was one of three officers appointed to equip and command the secret and disastrous Bayaduce Expedition.

In May of 1778 he was responsible for the capiture of several British ships. The following was documented in the Martime Court records: To all whom it may concern. Notice is hereby given, that a Litel(sp) it filed before me by George Deake, in behalf of this State, himself and others, against the Schooner Two Brothers(sp), burthen about 50 tons, Thomas Louden, late Masser, her appurenances and Cargo. And for the Trial of the Justice of said Capture, a Maritime Court for said District, will be held a Falmouth, on Wednesday the Sixth Day of May 1778 at the hour of ten in the forenoon, when all persons concerned may appear and for cause, if any they have, why the said Vessel, her Cargo and appurtenances should not be condemned. Signed: Tim Langdon, Judge of said Court


In 1783, he was appointed to the First Mass. Legislature as a Congressman representing Cape Elizabeth. . His line of the family was the only one to keep the original spelling of the surname (Deake). He died on March 8, 1821 at Cape Elizabeth, Cumberland Co., Maine and was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Land grant by the Governor, Council and House of Representatives of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England:
"and their heirs all that tract of Land adjoining to the tract of land before mentioned and beginning at the North East boundary of No Five and running along the great East and West Boundary Line five miles, and from thence South about Seven miles to the West side of a River, near to which is a slooping spruce marked W on the Plat, and down the said River, and along the Sea Coast Westerly to the East Line of No Five, then North up that Line to the first point. To Have and to Hold the said Lands with their appurtenances to Them and their Heirs to the only Use and Behoof of them and their Heirs forever as Tenants in Common. Subject nevertheless to the Restrictions, Provisoes and Conditions hereafter mentioned.

Reserving nevertheless, to be yielded and paid unto his majesty, his Heirs and Successors, by the said several Grantees and their respective Heirs and Assigns, one fifth part of all Gold and Silver Oar and precious Stones which shall happen to be found and gotten on the said Tracts of Land, or any of them, or any part thereof. Provided that these Grants, or any of them, shall be of no force or effect until his Majesty his Heirs and Successors shall signify his or their approbation thereof. And it is hereby provided and declared that the foregoing Grants, and each of them are, and is made upon these express Considerations and Conditions, that the said several Grantees of the said several Tracts of Land hereafter to be made so many several Townships, and each of them shall within six years after they shall have obtained his Majestys approbation of such Grants (unless prevented by War) settle each Township with 60 good protestant Families, and build 60 Houses, none to be less than eighteen feet Square, or of equal Area, and seven feet Stud; and clear and cultivate five Acres of Land on each Share fit for tillage or mowing; and that they build in each Township a suitable Meeting House for the public Worship of God, and settle a learned Protestant Minister, and make Provision for his comfortable and honourable Support. And that in each Township there be reserved and appropriated four whole shares in the Division of the same (accounting one sixty fourth part a share) for the following Purposes, viz one for the first Settled or ordained minister, his heirs and assigns forever, One for the use of the ministry, one to and for the Use of Harvard College in Cambridge, and one for the Use of a school forever. And if any of the Grantees or proprietors, of any of the said Townships respectively, shall neglect within the term of six years as aforesaid, to do and perform the conditions aforesaid, as shall respectively belong to his Share or Right as aforesaid, such Share or Right shall be entirely forfeited, and shall enure to the use of this Province, this Grant or anything therein contained to the contrary notwithstanding. Provided nevertheless that if the aforenamed Grantees, their Heirs and Assigns, shall not obtain his Majestys confirmation of these Grants before the expiration of eighteen months, to be computed from the day of the date hereof, then the said Grants, or such thereof as shall remain unconfirmed, shall cease and determine, and be null and void this present. Writing or any thing therein contained to the contrary notwithstanding.

Given in the Great and General Court and Sealed In the public Seal of the Province the 27th of Jany in the Fourth Year of the Reign of his Majesty George the Third, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender Of the Faith &c and in the year of our Lord one Thousand seven hundred and sixty four. In the House of Representatives January 27:1764"




Sarah was born in Westerly, Colony of Rhode Island, on May 09, 1739 to parents George and Susannah Deake. She was married to Johathan Lewis on Nov. 10, 1758. He later served in the Revolutionary War. They moved to New York state where he became a Baptist minister. The date of her death is unknown.

Anna was born in Westerly, Colony of Rhode Island, on Oct. 22, 1745 to parents George and Susannah Deake. She was married to Rev. Amos Rogers on Dec. 29, 1764 in Hopkinton, RI. John Maxson Jr., Justice of Peace married them. He was born on June 16, 1743 at Waterford, Conn. and died Aug. 28, 1822 at Greenfield, N.Y. He was known as Elder Amos of Hopkinton. Hopkinton records show he brought 20 acres from Benjamin Randell on Mar. 7, 1769 and on Nov. 7, 1797 they sold their land to Aaron Kingon of Charles, R.I. He later served in the Revolutionary War. They moved to New York state between 1797 and 1800. They had children: Amos Jr., John, Gleason, Elisha Milton, Anna Nancy, Charles Dake and Larah. She died in Greenfield, Saratoga Co., and N.Y., but the date is unknown.